Many students across the U.S. will return to the classroom in person this fall. With a new (in-real-life) school year fast approaching, students and their families are already on the lookout for new gear. Google Shopping team published a post pointing out that searches for “back to school supplies” increased by 80% in the last month versus the same period last year, while searches for “back to school deals” grew 40%.
This year, trending product Google searches are leaning into the Y2K style:
- “butterfly backpacks” spiked 190% over the last month, and “metallic backpacks,” another iconic Y2K look, grew by 90% during the same period.
- Searches for “vintage backpack” reached a record high in the U.S. this month.
- Searches for “clear post it notes” increased by more than 250% ahead of the back-to-school season.
- “clear bento boxes” are currently trending, and searches for “clear pencil case” are at an all-time high.
- Search interest for “baggy jeans outfits” is up 650% this month.
- Searches for “claw clips,” “crochet top” and “trucker hats” are at an all-time high.
- Other early 2000s classics — like the “baby tee,” up 40% this year, and “butterfly hair clips,” up 80%.
- Search interest for “Y2K room decor” increased 80% in the last month versus the same period last year.
- Classic styles from the early 2000s are showing up in home goods — searches for “smiley face rugs” increased 15% in the past month.
- “inflatable furniture” searches up 10%, and “glow in the dark stars for ceiling” searches more than doubled over the past month.